Almunge Kyrka (Almunge Church) dates back to the Middle Ages. It was probably built during the time of the House of Folkung (also known as the House of Bjälbo) within the period 1250 to 1350. The limestone baptismal font was also built some time during that period. The church roof was vaulted in the 1400s and the church was extended and underwent extensive repair work in the 1660s. The chancel that stands today was also built in the 1600s.
The church is richly decorated with murals on the walls and ceiling. Most of the murals are medieval, painted in the 1490s by the famous artist Albertus Pictor. The vault was painted in 1930 by Yngve Lundström.
The church has an imposing altar retable dating from 1717 and a distinguished pulpit created by Carl Spaak in 1716. The exterior has a striking bell tower from the 16th century.
Facilities Disabled persons
Access- reduced mobility/wheelchairs